Monday, December 14, 2009

Love of Lore

Last month I signed up to receive Google alerts for news about Egyptology. I expected to read about digs, artifacts and new concepts from old material but I am disappointed to find that the Google ‘Bots have picked up any reference to Egypt and the info is not that thirst quenching for me. But I can’t give up on the alert! I still hold out hope for the next news blast that will blow my mind, give me food for thought and send my heart to Research Heaven.

I have been 'addicted' to Egyptology since my sixth grade class in England. Mrs. Vescovi was the best! Since then I have read, drawn, carved, translated, painted, 6 sensesinterpreted and taught much of what I have learned and still have a hunger for more. Daily life of the ancients is one of my favourite subjects. Another one involves the magical ideas that the ancients agreed on -- like pinching a small bit of bread dough before putting a yeasty mass in an oven to symbolize an ear so that when the loaf is offered in a tomb for a dead relative the deceased can hear the living. Fascinating! Still another favourite; the ancients concept of the six senses : 1. the eye, of course, being sight, 2. the downward line with slight bump on it would be the sense of smell, 3. the arms reaching out with hands open, is touch, 4. the cup held by these hands is taste as it is to be consumed, 5. the curling line down and behind the ‘nose’ is the cochlea of the inner ear - hearing. Finally, 6. the eyebrow - symbolic of thought! The real sixth sense. More favourites? All Egyptian subjects are my favourites!

My family and friends have heard about as much as they can stand about Egypt yet I still yearn to spew more! New friends interested in the cradles of civilization have recently surfaced and I am revitalized and encouraged to continue - ever hopeful. I dedicate this blog to these new relationships.

Maybe I have been heard - even without the bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment